Safety Tips For Beginning Runners!
Author: Shannon Miller
Have your recently taken up running or are you thinking about it?
Running is a great sport to get your heart rate up and also a sport that you can do at your own pace (literally)!
Check out the tips below to make this pastime an even more enjoyable one:
- Join a local running club. These are great places to find friends, motivation, and accountability.
- There’s no shame in walking. It’s still great exercise and a good way to work up to a full run.
- Always set goals. Set short-term and long-term goals that will keep you motivated each day.
- Don’t over think it. It’s better to run one mile than to sit on the couch thinking about 10 miles.
- Never assume a car can see you. Err on the safe side and always keep aware of your surroundings.
- Race day is not the time to try new shoes or new foods. Keep to your regular routine as much as possible.
- Invest in a good pair of running shoes. A good running store will help you find the perfect fit.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen and a hat. If you can avoid midday runs, do so.
- Stretching is a great way to prevent stiffness and injury. Warm up before you stretch or stretch after you run.
- Always run against traffic.
- Dehydration is possible regardless of temperature. Take water with you wherever you run or train for more than 30 minutes.
- Use the “talk test.” You should be able to carry on a conversation while running. If not, dial back.