Pre AND Post Sun Protection (Giveaway alert!)
Author: Shannon Miller Lifestyle
Summer is quickly approaching!
Preparing for summer is always a process:
- gym sessions leading up to it
- purchasing a new swim suit
- pulling out the beach cruisers
- and maybe finding that old bottle of sunscreen you’ve hidden at the bottom of your beach bag from last summer . . . Freeze!
With all of the excitement of the beautiful summer weather, we want to remind you of the things that you should not skimp on and why.
We’ve asked Dr. Neal Schultz, a NYC based dermatologist and founder of the skin care line BeautyRX Skincare, a few questions:
Regarding skin care, what is the one thing you think is most important for women to do or use?
“The single most important preventative product for women to use is sunscreen 365 days a year anytime there daylight is present. Any sunscreen with an SPF of 15-30 with UVA protection will do the trick.”
Is there a daily routine women should follow in terms of skin care?
“To have and maintain younger, healthier looking and more beautiful looking skin, there are three essential skincare products that you need to use everyday.
- First is a gentle chemical exfoliant like glycolic acid which helps to remove the dead cells on the surface. This gives you brighter, lustrous, more even colored skin.
- The second product is sunscreen which obviously helps to prevent sun damage, particularly lines and wrinkles, dark spots, broken capillaries and even more importantly skin cancer.
- The third is an antioxidant. I prefer Vitamin C products. They are very important at giving you additional protection against the sun. So any energy from the sun that gets past your sunscreen can be neutralized by the topical antioxidants. They also help renew your skin and make it a more even color.”
We also checked in with Dr. Tanya Kormeili, Board Certified dermatologist and Assistant Clinical Professor at UCLA:
Is there a product that is better for women who already have wrinkles?
“The gold standard in wrinkle treatment is retinoic acid which is a prescription item; there are over the counter gentler versions such as Neutrogena’s rapid wrinkle repair.”
Do you have any specific product recommendations for daily use?
“Yes: great sunscreen every day (even if it’s a cloudy day!) and at least a retinoid at night.”
– Dr.Tanya Kormeili
SML TIP: Here are a few great SML product picks to try for that extra Sun protection:
Very lightweight Beauty Rx’s Solar Defense Pads make it all to easy to protect your face from harmful rays! Convenient and easy to apply, these SPF 30 pads keep your skin protected for around 3 hours at a time. They are oil-free and perfect for all skin types!
Murad’s Enviornmental Shield products help diminish the appearance of deep wrinkles, lightens skin discoloration and improves skin texture and tone. The Essential-C Cleanser establishes a well hydrated foundation for the Active Radiance Serum which protects and repairs skin for all day protection against environmental aggressors. Finally, the Essential-C Day Moisture SPF 30 protect skin from harm rays while also leaving skin healthy and hydrated.
If you’re looking for a powerful cream that defends your skin against free-radicals and sun damage, try Katixon’s Healing Oceanic Algae Cream. It’s bound to make those cheeks baby soft, while providing post-sun damaged skin some clarity and suppleness. It promotes collagen, reduces appearance of age spots, lines, and wrinkles, soothes irritated or inflamed skin, and regenerates skin cells. It smells good, too!