Author: Shannon Miller
Winter is here, which means so are the cold temperatures!
Of course, if you are an avid gym goer, it doesn’t matter what the temperature is outside. But if the outdoors is your gym, here are some alternative ways to keep active until the temperatures spike.
If you want to enjoy what Mother Nature has to offer this winter (like snow), keep these ideas in mind:
- Build those biceps by shoveling that snow out of your driveway and off the sidewalk!
- Have fun with the family by pulling the sleds out of the garage! Walking up and down those hills are sure to give your legs a workout!
- Make the family vacation a skiing trip this year! Your whole body is sure to get a great workout on the slopes…even if you stay on the bunny slopes the whole time!
- Get the family bundled up and head out to play in the snow! Make snowmen or snow angels, have a snowball fight, build a snow fort. As long as you’re outside moving around, you’re being more active than you would be by watching TV or playing on the computer all day!
- Even if you have to stay close to the wall the whole time, ice-skating makes for great exercise and can be fun for the whole family!
If you want to stay in the comfort of your own home, consider these ideas:
- Do some of your favorite yoga poses. If you need help coming up with some, check out Shannon Miller’s Yoga-To-Go book! Yoga is a great way to relax and to keep your body flexible for when you can start your normal exercise routine again.
- Move the furniture out of the way and make your living room a dance floor! Follow along to a dance video and you will be sure to get a full-body workout!
- Get the whole family together for an evening of video game fun, but don’t just use your thumbs! Game systems like Wii Fit are a great way to bring the whole family together for a fun and active night!