Kick-Start A Healthy Lifestyle!
Author: Shannon Miller
Spring is here – it’s time for a fresh beginning!
And I’m not just talking about Spring cleaning. For a fresh beginning this Spring, try kick-starting a healthy lifestyle! Two very important aspects of a healthy lifestyle are food and exercise.
Keeping a food journal is a great way to gauge whether you’re eating enough fruits and vegetables or mindlessly filling up on empty calories throughout the day. In your SML journal, you can record what you ate, when you ate it, and approximately how many calories were in it. The amount of calories you need each day depends on your age, sex, and level of physical activity. The following are recommendations (from the USDA) for a woman 31-50 years old who gets less than 30 minutes per day of moderate physical activity.
- Get those Veggies. 2.5 cups – Eat more dark green and orange veggies and dry beans and peas.
- Fruitylicious. 1.5 cups – Eat a variety of fruits and go easy on the fruit juices.
- Get those grains! 6 oz – Make at least half of these from whole grains.
- Lean meat and beans. 5 oz – Bake, boil, or grill and don’t forget about your friends nuts, fish, peas, and seeds.
- Milk does a lifestyle good! 3 cups – Make milk group choices fat-free or low-fat.
- Oil. 5 teaspoons – Don’t get carried away with solid fats like butter, margarine, shortening, or lard.
But remember, kick-starting a healthy lifestyle isn’t all about food. Without regular exercise, you are doing a disservice to your health. Just as you can start keeping track of the foods you eat, you can also keep track of the exercise you perform each day. Try to fit in at least 30 minutes of exercise most days. Find exercise activities that you personally enjoy and you’ll have an easier time sticking with them.
Consider these activities – you might be surprised that some are even considered exercise!
TIP: You have what it takes to lead a healthy lifestyle! Give yourself credit for each step you take in the right direction.
TIP: To keep your new lifestyle organized and manageable, check out Shannon Miller’s Food Journal & Exercise Log. ‘Tis the season for change!
TIP: If your looking for one of the best, easiest ways to lose weight and keep it off, join the FREE Shannon Miller Walk-Fit Program!
This program is a tracking and incentive program. The more you walk the more you win! Get your free SML pedometer at our community events or order it online!