Eating Healthy for the Whole Family
Author: Shannon Miller
Pull together the troops, Mom – it’s time to get everyone on that healthy eating track.
Your kids may not be crazy about eating healthy now, but they’ll thank you for it later – I promise!
So, the question is,
how do you kick healthy eating into action?
- Make breakfast a priority every morning. Some healthy options include whole grain cereal (i.e. Raisin Bran) or whole wheat toast and jam.
- Break that stereotype that healthy foods don’t taste good. Teach your kids that they can, in fact, taste very good! Make macaroni and cheese with fat-free or low-fat milk. Rather than a fast food burger, feed your kids a PB&J for lunch.
- Rather than refined-grain foods (i.e. white bread, white rice, and white pasta), choose whole-grain foods (i.e. whole-wheat bread, oatmeal, and brown rice).
- Make it a habit to reach for fruits and vegetables as snacks. Keep a large bowl of fruit salad in the refrigerator, buy bags of mini carrots, put a classic kid favorite like peanut butter together with a healthy vegetable like celery.
- Limit the amount of sweets that you keep in your house. If too many sweets are available, the healthy stuff won’t stand a chance!