Stress Management 101
Author: Shannon Miller
In today’s world, stress management should be a course that everyone is required to take.
The most important lesson is that, although stress is bound to be a part of your life…at some point or another, it’s nothing that you can’t handle – it’s manageable (hence the title of the course)! One important part of managing stress is keeping an eye out for the signs, both psychological and physical:*
Psychological signs of stress include feeling:
- Distracted (i.e. unable to focus)
Physical signs of stress include:
- Back pain
- Sleeping problems
- Upset stomach
- Weight gain or loss
- Tense muscles
- Frequent or serious colds
Another important part of managing stress is taking action!*
- Plan your time (i.e. make a to-do list). Having a lot on your plate can be stressful, but you would be surprised at how therapeutic it is to simply make a list of the things you need to accomplish! Marking each item off 1 by 1 is a great stress-buster!
- Exercise is a great way to consistently handle stress. Get at least 30 minutes/day in, so you can clear your head. Make yourself a priority!
- Making a habit out of eating healthy is important because healthy foods give your body the energy it needs to handle the twists and turns of daily life!
- Get it out! Talk to your loved ones about how you’re feeling. They could be experiencing something similar, and even if they are not, sometimes it’s beneficial just to have someone listen to you talk.